Thundering Paws Pet Adoption Center
Quick Links:
Genesis 1:26 "And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the ground."
   Home      Success Stories
After being incorporated and receiving tax exempt 4019I(c)(3) status in December 2007 Thundering Paws Pet Adoption Center placed 42 cats/kittens and 20 dogs/puppies and aided numerous people in placing animals by placing advertisements on line and inviting them to attend our pet adoption events. In 2009 58 Cats/kittens and 31 dog/puppies were placed in addition to the help provided to others.
Here are some of our favorite stories...
Sarge when Rescued 
Sarge was significantly malnourished when we found him on March 19th (left). He was estimated to be between 3-5 years old and was heartworm possitive. He was dewormed, treated for heartworms, given shots, and fixed. After months of recovering and putting on weight, he went to live with his new family. He is now healthy and enjoys daily naps on his couch (right). Sarge's rehabilitation was a joint effort between Thunder Paws, the Robeson County Humane Society and private donations.
Sarge Relaxing in New Home

More about Sarge

One day Christine saw a dog laying down in the soy bean field across from one of the Gable’s horse pastures. The dog looked dead as she and Rob approached it, but then it opened its eyes and without lifting his head it looked up. It was a sack of bones. The dog’s skin just hung from his body. The hip bones and spine protruding close enough to the dog’s skin that Rob and Christine thought at any moment the skin was just going to fall off. It was a purebred boxer. It was a painful sight to see. It couldn’t get up. Rob and Christine got it to the ranch. After being examined, it was fed small portions and began eating. For the first two weeks it was hand fed because it was not strong enough to eat on its own. Gradually, the dog began to eat enough to be able to stand. He was given the name Sarge. When Sarge arrived at the Vet’s office everyone was shocked he was still alive and at how skinny he was. Boxers usually weigh 60-75 pounds. Sarge weighed in at 32 pounds. He had been starving to death for weeks. Of course, he tested heavy positive for heart worms and had the terrible cough that accompanies the condition. The vet thought Sarge was about 3-5 years old. It took three months to get him to a healthy enough weight to withstand the heart worm treatment. He was the most expensive rescue. When all was said and done, he needed two full treatments for heart worm as well as several doses of deworming. The cost of saving Sarge was about $1,300.  The expenses were covered by a joint effort of private donors, Thundering Paws and the Robeson County Humane Society. After about eleven months of treatment, rehabilitation and socializing him on how to be a dog with hope and that he was loved, he got his forever family. Sarge went to live with a couple who already had a boxer. Sarge was so happy. He travels to their beach home with them too. The Gable’s get Christmas photos of Sarge and we know all his hardships have paid off. He is loved and well cared for.

Leo & His Babies

Most of the time when a litter of kittens is dumped on the Gable’s road, it is the mother who is dumped too!  However, this time a litter was dumped with their dad. They named him Leo.  He is a huge lanky black cat and in the Gable’s opinion deserves the Cat Father of the Year Award. Apparently he was dumped to care for his seven babies. With no milk and only his hunting skills he provided for the seven babies by himself until the Gables could get them all off the road. It took about ten days to get them all. There were 4 solid grays and 3 blacks. He and his final son, Milo were the last to come in the trap. While his children were at the Gable’s home he was always cleaning and playing with them making sure they ate. The Gable’s had never seen anything like this before. They tried to place Leo three times, but he couldn’t adjust to his new environments. He lives with the Gables now along with his son, Milo, though Milo is still up for adoption. Leo is not. The Gable’s foster the animals until they get adopted no matter if that means one day or until forever. Leo is one of a kind and the Gable’s love him. He is very sensitive even to this day to the needs of his son, Milo.

Dirt Road Seven

About four years ago in the heat of the summer one of the horse boarders pulled into the ranch and told the Gables that there were kittens running everywhere down the dirt road. He was right. The Gable’s got into their truck and went to get them. The kittens were about 4-6 weeks old. However, the Gables were not prepared for the condition the kittens were in. They were being eaten alive by red fire ants. It was horrifying and they were in pain. They were so desperately hungry and had evidently begun eating fire ants not realizing what the ants could do to them. It took a few days to round up all the kittens. They would run and hide in the brush on the side of the road. The Gable’s set food out in special raised holders for food designed to keep the ants out. The Gable’s initially rescued three, then three more, then the final one. The ants had eaten their nipples off their bellies and had attacked their noses and pee-pee area so badly that it took one month for the sores to heal before their sex could be determined. Also, four of them were Manx kitties, tailless that looked like little bunny rabbits. The other three had tails and were black and white. They were so cute and so much fun to watch. When the kittens were old enough, the Gable’s own cats helped them learn to socialize. They all found good homes.


One very cold January morning about three years ago, Rob went into one of the horse stalls to feed Champ, the Quarter horse. Lying in the corner of the stall was a white, brown and tan tree walker coonhound. He was curled tightly in a ball and at first, Rob thought he was dead. Rob approached him and the dog didn’t move or look up. He was nearly frozen and very cold, yet still alive. Rob took him into the barn and laid him on hay in our dog stall. The Gable’s turned a space heater toward him and put wet dog food up to his nose and it was then we noticed he had no top or bottom front teeth. His canine teeth were each busted in half. He did begin eating the food and drank water, then he went back to sleep. He was covered with blankets and given time to rest. Every two hours the Gable’s fed him more and he slowly began to recover. He was named Pal. He appeared to be an older dog. The vet said he was about 8-9 years old. He was beautiful and sweet. He also had a heavy case of heartworms. He ended up staying with the Gable’s eight months in order to recover before he was placed. He had some very interesting ways about him. He could forecast the weather. The Gable’s knew a couple of hours before a thunderstorm was due in. Pal loved sleeping on the living room floor, but if a storm was brewing, he’d wake up and slowly move to under the dining room table. He’d refuse to move nor go outside to do his business until after the storm was finished. He’d hold it until the storm passed. Also, he loved to sleep. He never barked. It was months before we heard him bark. When the Gable’s put him up for adoption he slept through the initial visit of the man coming to see him. He was perfect for the family who adopted him. They wanted a dog that wasn’t energetic and was laid back. The was Pal. They also wanted an older dog who wouldn’t chew things. He didn’t have many teeth. Perfect. They love him very much.

Boda and Red

The summer of 2009 was a very busy time for Thundering Paws. Two special dogs happened our way out of hunger and necessity. There was a century old farmhouse some acres behind the Gable’s place where a man had lived with his dogs. The Gable’s knew he was moving out but thought he had taken his dogs with him. About a month after he left, The Gable’s began seeing a gorgeous purebred German shepherd that they named Boda and a handsome red hound they named Red. Their ribs were showing and they kept running the length of the Gable’s fence line. They were starved. Katherine told Rob that they looked like the two dogs that she had seen at the farmhouse behind their place. He agreed. So Katherine drove over to the farmhouse and sure enough, the place was empty and the dogs had beat her back to the farmhouse before she could get there in the car. They were sitting, abandoned on the front porch. So for about a month they had very little to eat. Katherine loaded them in her car and brought them to the ranch. They were covered in ticks and skinny, but very friendly. They gained weight fast, but tested positive for heart worms. Fortunately, they were very mild cases. Within a month of being rescued they each were adopted to separate new owners. Many of the animals that come to the Gable’s ranch arrive in just this manner; abandoned or dumped on the dirt road.


About the same time that Boda and Red were rescued a huge and very pregnant tree walker waddled down the dirt road right before a storm. Rob brought her in and she gave birth to 11 puppies within the week. Nine of the eleven survived. The Gable’s named the mother Sugar and she was a great mom. She was placed and all her babies; 5 girls and 4 boys were placed in their forever homes.


One day Katherine received a call from a lady that told her neighbor had locked a cat in the bathroom with a large iguana. She told Katherine she had seen it with her own eyes and that the cat’s four paws were pinned down to mouse traps. She said her neighbor wanted the lizard to eat the cat so that the devil in the cat would get out of her house. She also said that the neighbor had not fed the adult cat or the iguana in a long time, hoping the lizard would get hungry enough to eat the cat. Katherine drove over to the home where this torture was taking place. She told the people that she could help them with their cat. She asked to see it and when she opened her front door and left it open she let Katherine in her house, it was a stark dark living room with a baby about 6-8 months old sitting on the floor chewing on dog feces. There was urine, dog and cat feces everywhere though she never saw a dog. The woman appeared to be mentally challenged or developmentally slow when Katherine asked to see the cat. She opened the bathroom door. Out shot the iguana, the cat didn’t move. Katherine bent down and picked up a scrawny, hairless bone-thin emaciated cat. It weighted maybe a pound or two. It was weak, but alive. There were scissor cuts all over its hide. Katherine carefully pulled off the mouse traps and put the cat in her shirt. Katherine told the woman that she would like to have her and asked her to sign a paper stating that she would allow Katherine to take it. She told Katherine the devil lived inside the cat. Katherine walked down the hall and back to the living room. She asked the woman if that was her baby. She said yes. Katherine told her she needed to keep the baby from eating the poop. She seemed not to know what I was talking about. She asked the woman if she saw where the lizard had ran off to. She said it ran outside and into the tree. Katherine walked outside to see the iguana in the tree as the woman had said. Katherine left the lady and went to her car with the cat. She gave the cat food and water while she called the police. The police came and took care of the woman and her child. It was a heart breaking scene, but the cat went onto recover. She was named Sasha. She grew a beautiful shiny black coat after the scissor wounds had healed. She gained five pounds and after nine months of rehabilitation and socialization in foster care she was able to be placed.


August 1st of 2009 the Gable’s received a call from a woman who had found a cat that had been attacked and its back had been torn open by a dog. The cat’s back was ripped open and a huge patch of fur and skin above her tail was now missing. The cat’ injury was about 8 inches by 6 inches. All that remained from the spot on her back was cat meat. Her internal organs could be seen and the ligaments and hip bones were bare and raw. It was sickening. The vet techs pleaded with the doctor to put her to sleep. But the doctor removed all of the maggots from her wound and treated her with medicine, antibiotics so she could live. He saw in her eyes the will to live and to fight to overcome this wound. The woman who found her named her Lady. The doctor said there was no reason to put her down since she had a good blood supply still flowing to her bones. He also said she could move her tail and do her business on her own, then she could live. She is a work in progress. Lady is still recovering after six months and the Vet feels it will take another 3-4 months before complete healing is accomplished. She has gradually developed new layers of skin and fur has begun to grow. One of her hip bones is still exposed, but has just begun to grow skin over it. Her recovery is remarkable and the vet intends to write about her. He took initial photos of the severity of the wound. The Gable’s will continue to take photos of Lady’s recovery as she heals. She will be all furry again one day.

Honey Bear and Smiley

A female German shepherd started showing up in the field across from the Gable’s ranch. It was malnourished. The Gable’s started feeding it every day hoping to gain the dog’s trust and bring it in. The dog came for months to eat, but wouldn’t allow the Gable’s to bring it home. Then it stopped coming. A couple of months later it showed up for food again with three puppies in tow.  The next day there were only two puppies. Rob decided to try and catch them. When Rob went down toward the road the German shepherd took off with the puppies following close behind. Rob started running down the road after them. The Shepherd picked up the pace leaving the puppies behind. Rob kept running until he was able to pick up both puppies and bring them home.  The Gable’s named them Honey Bear and Smiley. After a visit to the vet it didn’t take long to adopt the pups out. The Shepherd came everyday for food for awhile, but stopped coming and was never seen by the Gable’s again. Rob and Katherine believe that the Shepherd brought the pups with the intention of Rob catching them and them finding a home of their own.

The Peachy Gray and Black Kittens

The night before Rob was to leave for Oregon on vacation, he and his grandson, Trevor were returning home down the old dirt road. Much to their surprise they saw several kittens running around on and to the side of the road. In addition to a couple of kittens that had already been run over that were on the side of the road there were four peachy gray kittens and four black kittens. Rob stopped the car. He and Trevor caught the kittens as quickly as they could and put them in the back seat. When they got them home they placed the kittens in a bedroom, separated from the Gable’s cats. Rob went on vacation and left Trevor, 14, in charge of the kittens. About four days later one of the kittens had kittens. What a surprise that was for Trevor. All of the kittens were placed in good homes. Trevor recovered from the stress of kitten birth.

The Miracle of Ginger

A woman named Shirley called Christine, our vice president of Thundering Paws in 2012 and asked her to help place some adorable kittens.  We placed them all, including Ginger.  She went to live with a wonderful family and all was well.  About 18 months later we got a call from Ginger’s new owner to tell us that they thought Ginger was dying.  Her people said she could not eat or drink and asked for assistance.  Off Ginger went to the animal hospital for testing to see why she was losing weight and couldn’t eat and drink.  It was discovered that she had swallowed the zipper part to a ziplock bag and it was lodged deep in the colon area.  We were told the only way to save Ginger was to operate.  The x-ray had showed it in her belly plain as day, it could be seen.  She had been seen on a Friday, so the vet set-up surgery for the following Monday morning to remove the zipper piece.  So the family and members of Thundering Paws fosters began praying off and on all week-end.  On Sunday night, Ginger’s owner called to tell me that Ginger had begun eating and drinking.  She was walking around and was acting normal as ever.  I advised her to still take Ginger the next day anyways to the vet and see why the change. Monday morning, the vet could not believe that Ginger looked and acted so normal and did not appear sick anymore.  The vet did another x-ray and low and behold, the Lord had worked a miracle, the zipper was gone.

Buddy Buttercup Comes Home

In the spring of 2013 Rob was driving down the old dirt road when he saw up ahead an older kitten in the middle of the road.  He stopped the car and opened the car door and a very bright orange and white kitten got rescued.  Rob named him Buddy Buttercup because of his coloring.  He is a cheery fellow and loves all people.  He sort of had a wandering spirit about him and always wanted to go outside.  We got him vetted and neutered and I felt the Holy Spirit urging me to microchip him as we were getting ready to put him into foster care in a home in Spring Lake. Two days after arriving at his foster home, Buddy decided to take off.  The new foster mom was so upset and we were very sad.  The foster mom looked everywhere and posted flyers and asked all her neighbors but no one seemed to know where he was.  Days, weeks, months and then a year went by without a word from anyone as to Buddy’s whereabouts.  Then in early December of 2014, Christmas came early for us at Thundering Paws.  Our Buddy Buttercup had been found!  A woman in Fayetteville had found him wandering around in an apartment complex.  She took him to a local vet and they scanned for a microchip and sure enough we got called.  We were so happy and we felt that God had given us a miracle and the best Christmas gift.  The lady who found him was very much in love with his gentle friendly ways and asked if shecould adopt him.  We said yes, and she signed the adoption contract and we thought that would be that.  We did wonder at this point how Buddy got from Spring Lake to Fayetteville.  The journey is several miles.  We thought that it would remain a mystery forever.  Then two weeks later, the woman called back to tell us that she had seen a flyer for a lost orange and white cat and had called the number on the flyer and sure enough, it was the woman who had originally found Buddy after he ran away from his foster home.  The second woman had named him Charlie and was so delighted that her cat had been found.  She did not know about him being in foster care and that an organization had rescued him.  She had just assumed that a private family had lost their cat and that she was so happy to give him a home way back in Oct. of 2013.  She filled in the rest of the story and told us that she had moved to Fayetteville six months after finding Charlie and of course she loves him so much that she moved him with her.  It was at this apt. complex that she moved to that Charlie had been found at.  She cried and cried when she was re-united with Charlie.  So more adoption papers were signed and Charlie now lives with the woman who originally found him and the first woman who rescued him only lives one building away and has agreed to cat sit him whenever the other woman has to go out of town.  Now this is a God moment for sure!  Remember to microchip you pet!!!

Gia,Tia,Leah (2017)

These three 12 week old female kittens were found shivering, sick, hungry and abandon on a cold night in Nov. 2017 on a dirt road.  They were desperate and in need of being saved immediately.  The person who rescued them that cold dark night also became their foster mom.  When they were taken to the vet by their foster mom, they had a litter test done for feline aids and feline leukemia. They tested positive for AIDS.  The decision was made to keep them alive and build up their immune system with good health care and lysine.  All three of these kittens were tested individually and re-tested at age six months. God gave Thundering Paws a miracle and blessed them to become negative to Feline Aids. The three kittens now had a chance at life.  All three went on to get adopted by three separate families.

Taz (2018)

Thundering Paws had a Russian Blue cat named Taz.  He was famous in Fayetteville, NC. because he made front page news of the Fayetteville Observer newspaper when a reporter was doing an article on Thundering Paws and his photo was the featured foster cat along with the article about him.  He thinks of himself as the “King”, one of his nicknames, and needed an owner/servant to adopt him.  He was highly misunderstood by several humans due to his high maintenance needs as a King. He had been in three previous homes and now had landed in foster care again.  After his third owner dumped him at a high kill shelter, he got pulled by another rescue group who safely returned him to Thundering Paws.  It was clearly below his dignity to have been tossed aside and perceived as just a normal cat.  He stayed in foster care another two months when in walked a lovely fair-maiden, to adopt him, a woman who was impressed by his royal Blue Russian looks and understood his need to have a kingdom of his own.  He is happily ruling the fair-maiden and in return giving her loads of love.  She is more than happy to serve his every need.

Sampson and Delilah (2017-2018)

Sampson, the son and Delilah, the mother, are two cats whose owner could no longer keep them due to the person’s declining health. Delilah, a torti calico was 11 years old, had no teeth, but was still in very good health. Sampson, gray with cream colored marble swirls on his sides, was 10 ten years old, and a giant of a cat who was also an in good health. They were put into foster care together but did not find their new homes together.  Delilah got placed first in 2017 and went to a home with an 11 year old dog.  She became queen of the home and it was a blessing because it is very hard to place senior cats especially one without teeth. In 2018 Sampson found his new home with a family who had other cats and when the family saw how large and handsome he was, they immediately wanted him.  Both are very happy in their forever homes.

Goldie (2018)

This lovely 8 week old female calico/tabby kitten was rescued at the front door of a restaurant in Lumberton, N.C.  She was terribly debilitated and had a compromised rectum protruding outside her body.  Thundering Paws sent her to the vet immediately for repeated de-worming medication and feline stool softener paste.  She was put into foster care where the foster worked several times a day to keep her rectum moist with petroleum jelly and continued her medications because the rectum muscles had to stay moist, so the muscles would not dry out.  She was so full of worms that the worms had made her rectum muscles unable to retract back into her body. She needed expensive surgery to put her rectum back into her body, but she was too young to undergo this type of surgery without great risk of not surviving. Funds were raised for the surgery and one week before she reached the age to have the surgery, the miracle we had been praying for came to be. Her rectum slowly began retracting and surgery was not needed. She went on to get adopted by a young woman who immediately fell in love with her beauty and her personality.
Promise Kept (2019)

With great respect and in celebration of the long happy life of Bee-Bee, the longest living Thundering Paws foster cat died on April 29, 2019.  She was 22 years and 9 months old when she passed.  This is a success story because Thundering Paws kept our promise to a couple who both died prior to their three fur people.   She was originally the beloved cat of Mr. and Mrs. Vaughn.  However, in 2009, when Bee-Bee, at age 12, had to face the loss of Mr. Vaughn, she and her two cat sisters were put into long term foster care with Nancy, a Thundering Paws foster mom.  Mr. Vaughn had made a promise to his wife to care for her cats until they died.  She had passed of cancer five years prior and now he too was dying of liver cancer and could no longer keep the promise he had made to his wife. So, Mr. Vaughn called the president of Thundering Paws and asked if Thundering Paws would please help him keep his promise to his wife.  He needed someone to love, care and feed all three until they died. This couple never had children and their cats were their babies.  Mr. Vaughn explained that his doctor had told him he had at most one month left to live.  So, an agreement was made with Mr. Vaughn to have his next door neighbor call Thundering Paws when he died.  Twenty-nine days later, his neighbor called and the Secretary Treasurer and a foster mom went to Mr. Vaughn’s house and picked up the cats.  The promise held dear to Mr. Vaughn, was held with respect for this couple and the Thundering Paws foster. Nancy began caring for the cats and continuing the promise. For ten years, Thundering Paws and Nancy have kept that promise and have been faithful to care for and love Bee-Bee and her two sisters.  One of the sisters, Dee-Dee, died in 2012 of cancer and the other sister, Lookie, died in 2014 of renal failure.  Today, April 29, 2019, the promise has come full circle.  Bee-Bee peacefully crossed over and went home today.  I am sure Dee-Dee and Lookie, her sisters, were there to greet her.  God loves all his creatures, great and small; welcome to Heaven Bee-Bee.

Click here for our available animals shown on PetFinder